Thank you for your interest in receiving a nomination to one of the Service Academies. It is my honor to be a nominating authority, and I am proud to have the opportunity to work with young men and women who want to serve our country.
If you have not already done so, you should contact your academy or academies of choice and request pre-candidate information as this is the first step in the admission process.
To be considered for acceptance to a military service academy, you must obtain a nomination from one nominating source. The competition for congressional nominations is high, therefore, I encourage you to request a nomination from your other nominating sources: U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell and your respective U.S. Representative.
Please remember that in order to be eligible for a nomination each candidate must
- be at least 17 years of age, but not yet 22 by July 1st of the year he or she is admitted to the Service Academy (the upper age limit is 25 for Merchant Marine Academy);
- be a United States Citizen at the time he or she enters the Service Academy, and a legal resident of Kentucky;
- be unmarried, not pregnant, and have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents; and
- meet the minimum requirements of the Academy to which he or she is applying.
APPLYING FOR A NOMINATION
In order to be considered for a nomination, you must apply on the website by submitting the items outlined below:
- Completed Questionnaire Application
- Personal Information
- Checklist Items
- Essay summarizing why you want to attend a Service Academy
- High School Transcript and/or College Transcript
- Official ACT and/or SAT scores
- Three (3) Recommendation Letters from non-relatives, at least one of which must be from a teacher or school official
The last date to submit the application is on November 15, 2019.
Failure to complete these requirements by November 15, 2019 will disqualify you from further consideration. Please be sure you are a current and legal resident of Kentucky or your application will be invalid with my office.
A nomination through any authority does not guarantee acceptance into a service academy. Final acceptance into one of the Service Academies is made by the individual academy.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact my State office at 270-782-8303.
Thank you again for your aspiration to serve our country.
Service Academy Contact information
United States Military Academy (USMA)
Director of Admissions
United States Military Academy
606 Thayer Road
West Point, NY 10996-9902
Director of Admissions (845) 938-4041
Toll Free Number (800) 822-2769
United States Naval Academy (USNA)
Candidate Guidance Office
United States Naval Academy
117 Decatur Rd.
Annapolis, MD 21402-5018
Candidate Guidance Office (410) 293-4361
Toll Free Number (800) 638-9156
United States Air Force Academy (USAFA)
2304 Cadet Drive, Suite 200
USAF Academy, Colorado 80840-5025
Toll Free Number (800) 443-9266
United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA)
Director of Admissions
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
Kings Point, New York 11024-1699
Toll Free Number (800) 732-6267
United States Coast Guard Academy (USCGA)**
Director of Admissions 15 Mohegan Ave New London, CT 06320-4195 Toll Free Number (800) 883-USCG Website: http://www.cga.edu
**The United States Coast Guard Academy does not require Congressional nominations. You should contact the USCGA directly.**